Mission and Aims
The mission statement of the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre (CPEC) has been developed by the staff and families of the children who have been involved in the unique education services.
- To provide a comprehensive, inclusive, and innovative service to families who have a child with Cerebral Palsy (and like conditions) that aims to meet each individual child's special learning requirements resulting from the nature of their disability.
- To provide a service that has its foundations based on an understanding of child development and learning; that enables child development and learning; that aims to establish positive, supportive and collaborative relationships with families.
- To ensure effective, reciprocal links with the various community settings the children access to enable positive educational outcomes and inclusion for the children and their families.
- To promote and support the growth of professional knowledge and high quality developmentally appropriate practices for children with Cerebral Palsy (through professional development and training activities and published works).
CPEC aims to:
- provide families with access to current knowledge and best practice in the education of young children with Cerebral Palsy and like conditions;
- help families to understand and nurture their child's ability to learn and participate in the usual activities of human experience;
- empower parents with sufficient knowledge, skill and support to make informed decisions across a variety of life opportunities;
- provide parent support and networks enabling them to access community options confidently now and in the future; and
- provide children with knowledge of how their body works in a manner which increases their self-esteem and enables them to problem solve the challenges and capitalise on the opportunities life has to offer.