Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) Communication Books
For information about PODD Training Workshops, click here.
Direct Access Templates CD Resource
Developed by Gayle Porter. Published and distributed by the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre
This comprehensive resource provides a range of templates and detailed information for the production and use of Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books.
Parents, teachers, speech pathologists, occupational therapists and physiotherapists can learn to create and make a wide range of personalized communication books to meet a variety of communication, language, sensory and physical access requirements.
This resource provides practitioners with templates and guidelines to develop an appropriate, personalised communication book for a child, and also describes comprehensive strategies to enable its use in the child`s daily life - at home, at school and in the community.
Purchase price: $250.00 AUD
PODD can be purchased through an order form:
- For the A4 size PODD order form, click here.
- For the US letter size PODD order form, click here.
Who is this resource for?
This resource is for people who support children who are learning to communicate using aided symbols (pictographs, graphic symbols, whole written words).
Parents, teachers, therapists, and others who interact with children who use aided symbols with will find this resource valuable.
What does the resource contain?
The resource provides templates to create a range of PODD communication books designed for children who use direct pointing with a whole hand, finger or pointer.
Some of these page sets can also be modified to accommodate pick up and give/show or partner-assisted scanning access methodologies.
The 3-CD set includes:
- A full version of the book titled Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display communication books. This publication describes the theoretical underpinnings and features of PODD communication books and includes a detailed section on teaching learning strategies
- Templates for 14 different PODD communication books from simple early functions to complex syntax. These templates can be viewed and customised using Boardmaker version 5 or later (not included).
Each set of templates includes:
- An information file providing a detailed description for that communication book`s language, page layout, vocabulary organisation and navigation pathways
- Construction files providing specific instructions for printing and constructing each communication book.
What is on the CDs?
CD 1 contains:
- The book: Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books in PDF format
- Step-by-step instructions for selecting and customising a PODD template to suit individual requirements
- Vocabulary ideas
- Colour master file (Boardmaker format)
- Template folders for one-page opening PODD communication books, from 9 per page early functions to 20 per page expanded functions
- Template folders for group PODD communication books
CD 2 contains:
- Template folders for two-page opening PODD communication books: 40 key word, 70 expanded key word, and 100 plus complex syntax.
CD 3 contains:
- Template folders for two-page opening with side panel PODD communication books: 36 key word, 48 expanded keyword, and 90 plus complex syntax.
Minimum System Requirements
- Boardmaker for Windows or Mac version 5 (or greater) for printing and customising the templates
- Adobe Reader (free download)
- CD-ROM Drive
PODD Direct Access Templates are targeted at the following age ranges:
PODD Direct Access Templates are designed to support development of:
- Resource preparation
For enquiries about PODD features and its applications, email Gayle Porter (Speech Pathologist): email@example.com
For all other enquiries, contact Sue Kennedy (Administration Manager): firstname.lastname@example.org / +613 9560 0700